"O my son, learn 4 things and (a further) 4 things from me. Nothing will harm you if you practise them:
- the richest of riches is intelligence;
- the greatest poverty is foolishness;
- the wildest wildness is vanity
- the best achievement is goodness of character.
O my son, you should avoid making friends with:
- a fool because he may intend to benefit you but actually harm you;
- a miser because he will run away from you when you need him most;
- a sinful person because he will sell you for nought;
- a liar because he is like a mirage, making you feel far things near and near things far."
Imam Ali (as) to his son Al-Hasan (as)
[Arabic to English translation.]