26 August 2011

The Fruit Market


A conversation that took place in a fruit market yesterday...

Me to my mum: ..you're making kabab..?
Random Pakistani woman in a salwar kameez: *laughs*
Mother: Did you understand what she said?
Woman: Yes, how do you not like kabab?! It's great for fatoor..
Mother: You're Muslim?!
Me: Obviously.
Woman: Yes, of course!
Mother: Oh sorry it's just because you don't wear hijab, I assumed..
Woman: I used to wear it but I took it off, you know.
Me: Why?
Woman: My husband didn't like it.
Me: ..why?
Woman:  He thinks I look Bengali in it *laughs*
Mother: Oh.
Me: Err, what's wrong with..?
Woman: You know.. lots of them wear hijab.
Mother: He really shouldn't be telling you not to wear it..
Woman to me: Well, it's good your husband doesn't mind.
Me: I'm not marri-
Woman: Mine just doesn't like it. Trust me, if your husband is happy, so are you.
Me: Right.


Mother: So when's Eid..?

[Photo source]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eid is either on Aug 29 or Aug 30.

Salaam.

-Imran

beingFab said...

Ha ha...that's an interesting read!! Happens all the time though!!


www.shocksandshoes.blogspot.com

Umm Ibrahim said...

Um...thats sad...

Ayah said...

that must have been so awkward...

Stylish Muslimah said...

Ayah: Lol, yup :/

Leila and Aliya said...

LOL!!!!! THAT WAS AMAZING!
I luv the last part. Im not marri- lol


to all blog readers: see this blog!
http://hijabafied.blogspot.com/

-Leila and Aliya

The Pensive Muslima said...

How sad that she removed it.

If you husband is happy then you are? That is NOT how I was raised. :o)

Btw...I love love love your blog. I first came across it when I first reverted and began to wear hijab. I love that you hold true to your beliefs but are respectful of others even if they are different. Mashallah. I would love it if you checked out my blog and told me what you thought. :o)

thepensivemuslima.blogspot.com

Stylish Muslimah said...

Pensive Muslima: Salam! Aw, I'm so happy that you like the blog :D I just checked yours out, it's awesome! Also, you look soo cute in a hijab, masha'Allah.

Hope you had a good Ramadan :) Eid Mubarek!

The Pensive Muslima said...

Thank you. You (and everyone) have a wonderful Eid :)